Crow Island Woods is one of the two remaining sites being vetted by the Winnetka Park District for installation of an off-leash dog park.
See the details here: https://www.winpark.org/about-us/projects/dog-park/
We have a number of concerns regarding the proposed CIW dog park site:
- Impact on the health and integrity of CIW’s oak savanna and sedge meadow areas. These are ecologically sensitive areas that have been under long-term stress due to the number of severe storms over the last decade, the loss of ash trees due to emerald ash borer infestation, ongoing drainage issues, and overall de-prioritization and lack of investment by WPD
- Impact on neighborhood property values
- Proximity to Crow Island school and the safety risk for the school children who walk through CIW daily, and the classes which use CIW for lessons and activities
- Safety hazard of increased traffic on surrounding residential dead-end streets with no sidewalks, where community members regularly walk and ride bikes in the street
- Impact on the aesthetic beauty of CIW
- Proximity to two National Historic Landmarks: Crow Island School and Schmidt-Burnham Log House
- Proximity to homes, which will experience disruption due to increased noise and activity levels. This added noise and activity will also detract from CIW’s peaceful, natural setting.
- Potential decrease in park shelter/event revenues, e.g., scouting events/camp overnights, annual Crow Island family picnic
- Lack of parking in densely populated residential and elementary school area
We encourage you to read WPD’s plans, and complete WPD’s dog park survey at https://www.winpark.org/about-us/projects/dog-park/, as well as the Winnetka Caucus survey which has several dog park questions. https://www.winnetkacaucus.org/
WPD’s next board meeting is Thursday, June 20, 2019 at 5:30pm at the Administrative Office at 540 Hibbard Rd, Winnetka. Please attend to voice your concerns and/or stay updated on WPD news.
WPD is holding two on-site meetings for the community to look at the CIW dog park site. These will be held on Tuesday, June 25, from 10-11am and again from 7-8pm. Please attend to learn more and ask questions.